Saturday, August 04, 2007

Gods In Alabama

I started reading this book without really knowing what to expect. I had added it to my wish list a long time ago after stumbling across the author's blog and falling in love with her witty musings and general sense of humor. I thought to myself, "If her books are anything like her blog posts, I'll love them."

Since I'm a girl with lots of books on her TBR shelf and not nearly enough time to read them all, I put this book on the back burner. I expected to get my hands on it one day, but I didn't really put any effort into actively looking for it.

Then one day, a coworker came into the office and said he had a book he thought I would like. It just so happened that it was this book.

The synopsis on the back cover of the book gives the basic framework of the characters and their relationship to one another, but it doesn't tell the whole story. In fact, the readers don't get the whole story until the last few pages of the book. I won't ruin the ending here. Let's just say that the back of the book doesn't say anything about this being a murder mystery, but it sort of is. Mostly, though, it's a story about a mother's (or motherly aunt's) fierce love for her children.

I really enjoyed the character development in this book. We are even given the "bad guy's" redeeming qualities. And for a split second, I almost grieved for him. Almost.

Read this book and then read the author's comments in the Reader's Group Guide in the back. She has a beautiful way with words.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Oooh. I have this one in the TBR, and actually on a challenge list as well. I should move it up!

Mo said...

I really enjoyed this book - glad to read that you liked it too!

Framed said...

I recently read a less favorable review on this book. Since I was adding it to a personal challenge, I'm so glad to read your review. thanks